Monday, October 26, 2009

Knowing the Love of Christ that Surpasses Knowledge

"I pray that you . . . know this love that surpasses knowledge." (Ephesians 3:19). John Bunyan observes that there is great benefit in knowing that Christ's love is beyond our understanding. Satan will come to us in times of moral failure with his accusations. These are designed to drive us away from Christ.

"Says Satan, do you not know that you have horribly sinned? Yes, says the soul, I do. Says Satan, do you not know that you are one of the vilest in all the pack of professing believers? Yes, says the soul, I do. Says Satan, does not your conscience tell you that you are, and have been, more base than any person can imagine you to be? Yes, says the soul, my conscience tells me this. Well then, says Satan, now I will appeal to you. Are you not a graceless wretch? Yes. Do you have a heart that is sorry for this wickedness? No, not as I should. Then, says Satan, is not your heart convinced that God will disregard you? Yes, says the sinner. Why then, despair and go dispose of yourself, says the devil. And now we are at the end of the thing designed and driven at by Satan. But what shall I now do? asks the sinner. I answer, remember the words of Ephesians 3:19, Christ loves with a love that surpasses knowledge. And answer Satan saying, though I cannot think that Christ loves me, though I cannot think that God will save me, yet Satan, I will not yield to your accusations. For God can do more than I think He can."

Excerpts from John Bunyan's All Loves Excelling.

No comments: