Tuesday, March 07, 2006

As a Matheetuo most of what I have learned has been in the journey. Life generally works that way. That seems to be the environment that God prefers to operate. A wise mentor of mine once shared with me that life is not so much about arriving, it's more about the direction in which I'm moving. Moving in the right direction, God gives the grace that I need in the moment to do what He requires of me. This was the way that God led and provided for the nation of Israel as they sojourned through the desert. "The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day." (Exodus 16:4). Enough for that day: such was the rule for God's giving and man's living. It is still the rule in all the dealings of God's grace with his children. His presence and grace enjoyed today will remove all doubt as to whether I can entrust tomorrow to him too.

Today I picked up Andrew Murray's Abiding in Christ. His insights once again challenged me. We are so easily led to look at life as a great big whole, and to neglect the little today, to forget that single days do indeed make up the whole, and that the value of each single day depends on its influence on the whole. . . . Each day of faithfulness brings a blessing for the next, making both the trust and the surrender easier and more blessed. And so the Christian life grows; as we give our whole heart to the work of each day. And so each day separately, all the day continually, and day by day successively, we abide in Jesus.

No comments: