Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Last week I had a sobering glimpse of where I was headed in the journey. It scared the wits out of me. It all started at our care group. We have been reading the book by John Ortberg, The Life You've Always Wanted. He was talking about the transformation that takes place in our lives as we follow Jesus. He made this statement, "You will not always be as you are; the day is coming when you will be something incomparably better - or worse." And then he quoted C. S. Lewis, "All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or the other of these destinations . . . immortal horrors or everlasting splendors."

Through the week I had been studying Colossians 3:1-11, and I came to the conclusion that no matter how far down the road I think am I as a follower of Jesus, the rythm of my steps must always be, "death and life." And "death" always comes before "life." I realized that I have lulled myself into thinking that I can simply maintain a level of spiritual life and moral health without any personal cost or discomfort. I realized that I had just about convinced myself that I had arrived at spiritual maturity.

The reality is that there is no "maintenance" mode in the spiritual journey of life. I am always changing, either for the better or the worse. And when I took a long hard look at the spiritual and moral condition of my life, I realized that things were getting worse not better. I had deceived myself into thinking that I was cruising along without any effort, when the truth was that I was slowly sliding backwards in my mindset of self-satisfaction.

This journey is first and foremost about dying. I have forgotten that my master said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose, but whoever loses his life for me will save it." Somehwere along the road of life I have forgotten that little word, "daily." That is to be the routine, daily cadence of my faith walk: losing my life; gaining His life. I fooled myself into believing that I could have both; that I could get along fine with just a little bit of me. Paul put it emphatically, "Put to death whatever belongs to your earthly nature." (Colossians 3:5). Whatever it is that doesn't belong to Jesus, I must do whatever it takes to execute it from my life. This is the path my master trod; it is the path this matheetuo must tread.

1 comment:

Denise said...

THERE YOU ARE PETER! said the little boy as he peered into his long ago friend's eyes.
That is how I felt as I read your blog. That is the man I am married to.
A mighty man of God!
How blessed are we your family.
xoxo umlb d