Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Deeps




Lord Jesus, give me a deeper repentance, a horror of sin, a dread of its approach. Help me chastely to flee it and jealously to resolve that my heart shall be yours alone.

Give me a deeper trust, that I may lose myself to find myself in you, the ground of my rest, the spring of my being. Give me a deeper knowledge of yourself as saviour, master, lord, and king. Give me deeper power in private prayer, more sweetness in your word, more steadfast grip on its truth. Give me deeper holiness in speech, thought, action, and let me not seek moral virtue apart from you. Plough deep in me, great Lord, heavenly husbandman, that my being may be a tilled field, the roots of grace spreading far and wide, until you alone are seen in me, your beauty golden like summer harvest, your fruitfulness as autumn plenty.

I have no master but you, no law but your will, no delight but yourself, no wealth but that you give me, no good but that you bless me, no peace but that you bestow. I am nothing but that you make me, I have nothing but that I receive from you. I can be nothing but that grace adorns me. Quarry me deep, dear Lord, and then fill me to overflowing with living water. Amen

(a Puritan prayer)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Lougheed hwy, Port Coquitlam, BC

1 comment:

Denise said...

My friend and fellow traveller, I long for these changes in my heart too. Life is too short to achieve them all but we will hold hands and strive together until we know the FULLNESS of our salvation in heaven with the authour and finisher of our faith. Xoxo YFW denise